Tuesday, May 21, 2013

theatre fun with mom

Rather last minute, my sister remembered her family was supposed to go see Beauty and the Beast at Gammage Auditorium.  
The older kiddos had a birthday party to attend as well, so I got the privilege of taking Finn, Jimmy, and their neighbor Isaac.  
The whole experience with three little boys was entertaining to me.  Jimmy had seen Shrek here when he was only three and fell asleep for the second half (he did love the Dragon though) so I was anxious for him to see this (one of my personal favorites) now that he is old enough to appreciate it.  He said he liked "Be Our Guest" the best because they shot streamers at us out of cannons.  He and Finn both seemed interested through most of the show, but not enthralled.  Isaac on the other hand (who is hilarious in general) LOVED it!  He already has the acting bug so he loved when I told him that he would make a good Lumier and now has future plans to do so.  Somehow I don't see my kids being on the stage anytime soon, but maybe they will blossom a little later like their mom.  You wouldn't have pegged me as a theatre kid when I was five.  My first performance in the Girl Scout International Dinner was supposed to be my troop singing "Frere Jacques," but I faced my back to the audience the entire time.  My troop leader (and best friend's mom) still likes to remind me of that and say she never would have guessed for me to choose theatre as my career.  So who really knows, right?  I would still put my money on Jimmy being an engineer... but maybe he could combine his love of building with his artist ability and be a scenic designer like his mom.  He would probably end up being way better than me at it.  He was very impressed when I took him to my school and the boys got to stand on the stage and go backstage, too.  I didn't design this set, but they still thought my job must be pretty cool.  Jimmy couldn't believe we managed to fit a whole gym onto the stage. (FYI: It was for Reefer Madness: The Musical which they are NEVER allowed to see).  I can't wait until I can take them to see a play that I design or direct someday.  Then they will really know how cool I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment