Monday, April 30, 2012

bacon party

I was trying to plan a surprise birthday party for Zach on his real 30th birthday, but I just wasn't going to pull it off in time so we post-poned it to the next week and I spilled the beans to him.  This was partly because I didn't know how well I could pull off the surprise, and partly because I knew Zach's input could be beneficial in planning this particular party.  The theme was BACON so I thought he may have some god ideas.  Zach loves bacon a lot so Pete thought his birthday would be the opportune time to have a dinner party with all bacon filled dishes.  The Burches were kind enough to host and we were honored to have some good friends in attendance that all brought some delicious food to share. 
Em and Pete helped with the drinks.  Pete was really excited to try this Bakon Vodka, but not so excited after he actually tasted it.
They made Bacon Martini's and all the boys all gave it a try.  John was intrigued, but even Zach wasn't a fan. 
 I tried it in a pineapple drink were it was mostly disguised and it was pretty good in there.
Pete's friend (who happens to be Jewish) lent him these shirts:

Sarah Junker made these bacon wrapped potatoes with a dipping sauce:
Along with some of the decor, my dad made an egg salad and bacon spread:
Zach made a "Bacon Explosion"...
It is bacon wrapped in Italian Sausage with a bbq rub, then wrapped in a lattice of more bacon and smoothered in bbq sauce:
 It may not look or sound that appetizing and I was skeptical, but even I thought it was pretty good.
I also made bacon wrapped burgers and Angela made a cob salad.
Naomi made a delicious dessert of maple bacon scones with whipped cream and bacon bits on top.
Needless to say, it was a great night of good conversation and lots of bacon.
Thanks to my dad, we even had a little game of Pin-the-Bacon-in-Zach's-Mouth.
It took a little coaxing to get all the kids to play, but eventually most people got in there.
Not really sure who won.  I think Zach cheated, but there wasn't really a prize so no one really cared.

I think the most surprising end to the evening for me was not actually feeling sick or never wanting to eat bacon again.  In fact, I think I even appreciate it more than ever.
YAY BACON!!

4 comments:

  1. What a great party!! Way to ring in the 30s Zach!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry we missed it! Happy birthday Zach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea. Very funny and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, THIS IS HILARIOUS! And that bacon vodka looks DISGUSTING. Happy birthday, Zach!

    ReplyDelete